Name of Employer: Town of Chapel Hill, NC
Employer Website: www.townofchapelhill.org
Chapel Hill, NC
Job title: Transportation Planner I/II
Job Details / Description
SALARY: $40,395.00 – $57,564.00 AnnuallySUMMARY: The purpose of this position is to support transportation planning activities, including implementing the Mobility and Connectivity Plan, development plan review, advisory board staffing, capital project management, community engagement, and other special projects.
The Transportation Planner is part of the Transportation Division within the Department of Planning & Development Services. This position reports to the Transportation Planning Manager.
- Project Management: manages and oversees implementation of various planning-related projects according to work plan
- Data research and analysis: analyzes and map data in an engaging and user-friendly manner
- Staff support: provides staff support to Town Advisory Boards, committees, internal and external customers, and local/regional project teams
- Prepare memos and reports for distribution to the Council, Advisory Boards, Town departments, and the public
- Works with regional partners to prepare regional transportation plans and related studies
- Implements projects and programs from the Mobility and Connectivity Plan and other transportation plans
- Conduct research as needed to assist on projects
- Assist with the preparation of presentations and other community outreach activities
- Other duties as assigned
Job Candidate Qualifications:
An equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
One year of experience working in Planning or a related field. Candidates should have experience with GIS and related visualization tools.
- Basic principles and practices of planning, transportation planning, zoning, land use, and inspection
- Relevant federal, state, and local laws
- Multi-modal transportation planning, including bicycle, pedestrian, and transit planning
- Software programs such as: ArcGIS, Adobe Suite (Illustrator and InDesign), Google SketchUp, Synchro/Transmodeler
- Solve problems and make sound decisions
- Plan, organize, supervise, and carry out complex projects effectively and simultaneously
- Maintain accurate financial records and prepare reports
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, customers, and supervisors
- Develop and communicate presentations in a public setting
- Read and interpret ordinances, statutes, site plans, maps, engineering drawings, etc.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Manage a heavy workload and manage time effectively
Work is generally performed while sitting at a desk with intermittent standing or stooping. An incumbent in this position might also be required to lift light objects occasionally.
How to Apply
CLOSE DATE: February 24, 2019