Name of Employer: City of Raleigh
Job title: Transportation Planner
Job Details / Description
Job Description: The City of Raleigh Department of Transportation is seeking a well-qualified Transportation Planner. The successful candidate will provide project management and technical services for streetscape, traffic calming, corridor plans, and other similar activities for the Transportation Planning Division. A Transportation Planner must be skilled communicator as well as being a technically proficient planner, engineer, or designer.
Hiring salary range: $42,743.58 – $64,920.69.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project management for transportation projects and plans, including negotiating and monitoring contracts with vendors providing planning and engineering services.
- Present and facilitate at public meetings as well as boards and commissions.
- Provide transportation expertise to area, corridor, and neighborhood plans as well as conceptual subdivisions and site plans.
- Provide technical support to project prioritization and capital budgeting.
Job Candidate Qualifications
- Planning or Engineering education with a working knowledge of transportation planning or design.
- Working knowledge of transportation design guidelines, such as NACTO, AASHTO, FWHA, and ITE guides as well as the MUTCD.
- Working knowledge of long-range planning, zoning, and site plan review.
- Presentation, meeting facilitation, verbal, and written communication skill.
- Basis GIS skills.
- Basic proficiency in reading engineering/construction plans.
- Communicate concepts verbally in public meetings.
- Self-direct and simultaneously manage a number of projects at a time.
- Gather data in the field through measurements, photographs, observations to support conceptual design development.
Education: Bachelor’s (4year) college degree in urban planning, transportation planning, civil engineering, or equivalent required. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: At least 2 years of relevant planning or engineering experience is required for applicants with a Bachelor’s degree. Applicants may substitute additional relevant education for the required experience.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: Regular driver’s license is required. EIT strongly desired. A plan to achieve AICP certification strongly desired. AICP and/or PE certification preferred.
Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft spreadsheet and word processing software, and ESRI geographic information systems (GIS) software is required. CAD and database software skills are also desired.
How to Apply
Apply by July 3, 2017 at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/raleighnc/jobs/1769287/transportation-planner