Employer: City of Raleigh
Employer Website: https://www.raleighnc.gov/
Job title: Urban Designer I
Job Details / Description
The City of Raleigh, North Carolina is searching for 2 urban designers to work within the Raleigh Urban Design Center (UDC), a division of the Department of City Planning.
Applicants must have specialized knowledge and skills in the design of the physical environment and effective community engagement.
For more information on the positions visit
Hiring Range: $43,981.00-$50,000.00
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Researches, investigates, and prepares recommendations, maps, data, graphic illustrations, written reports, public presentations and/or materials on a wide range of urban design issues with an emphasis on the urban public realm.
- Provides urban design support for preparation of area plans; develops schematic designs for proposed facilities or developments, and prepares working drawings.
- Applies critical thinking in the design of the community at a variety of scales and demonstrate knowledge of principles, practices, and trends in urban design.
- Works individually or in teams to ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner producing high-quality urban design, planning, and regulatory products.
- Assembles field data and develops preliminary sketches and plans for various projects; prepares detailed design plans and specifications.
- Conducts compliance review against city code for form-based elements of development proposals.
- Assists with production of publications, including newsletters, websites, brochures, etc.
- Explains urban design and planning principles and practices, working with stakeholders individually and/or in group discussions.
- Prepares information, provides assistance, and responds to requests from public officials on urban design and land-use regulations.
- Provides technical support and information to City agencies and members of the public on various City tasks/events.
- Supports partnerships with the design and development community.
- Performs other duties and assists with special projects as requested.
- Identifies, develops, implements, and maintains processes and practices that encourage, support, and promote effective, comprehensive and meaningful citizen engagement.
Job Candidate Qualifications
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, planning or public administration or field directly related to assignment and two years of professional experience. Master’s degree in a field associated with architecture, landscape architecture, or urban design preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and/or other graphics software. Familiarity with drafting, 3D-modeling, and rendering software including, but not limited to, Rhino3D, AutoCAD, SketchUp, and VRay. Working knowledge of GIS software is preferred.
- Principles and practices of planning administration
- Principles and practices of program administration and management
- Principles and practices of project management
- Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research
- Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis
- Best practices, trends and emerging technologies
- Principles and techniques of effective oral presentations
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment)
- Specialized equipment relevant to the area of assignment
- Modern office technology
- Researching industry trends, solutions, and best practices
- Gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason
- Interpreting, monitoring and reporting financial information and statistics
- Coordinating deadlines and prioritizing competing demands
- Authoring and preparing original reports, technical documents, and presentations
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations, and standards (based on assignment)
- Providing customer service
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
How to Apply
To apply visit
*Applicants must include a portfolio or collection of work samples to be considered.
Closing date is September 19, 2019