Name of Employer: Raleigh Urban Design Center
Employer Website: https://www.raleighnc.gov/urbandesign
Job title: Urban Designer II
Job Details / Description
The City of Raleigh, North Carolina is searching for an experienced urban designer to work within the Raleigh Urban Design Center (UDC), a division of the Department of City Planning.
Applicants must have specialized knowledge and skills in the design of the physical environment and demonstrated, effective community engagement to solve urban design and planning issues at various scales.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Researches, investigates, and prepares recommendations, graphic illustrations, and written reports on a wide range of urban design issues with an emphasis on the urban public realm.
- Prepares and presents oral and written reports; directs the preparation of maps, charts, diagrams, and other materials for inclusion in presentations.
- Collects and analyzes demographic, land-use, and economic statistics in order to maintain and update mapped information and computer-based information systems.
- Provides urban design support for the preparation of area and corridor plans; develops schematic designs for proposed facilities or developments, and prepares working drawings for streetscape or development proposals.
- Conducts and manages studies in such areas as land use, public services, economics, human resources, housing and urban development, transit-oriented development, and center city and neighborhood revitalization.
- Administers contracts to vendors and consultants.
- Applies critical thinking and “design thinking” to address numerous technical and non-technical tasks.
- Works individually or in teams to ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner producing high-quality urban design, planning, and regulatory products.
- Assembles field data and develops preliminary sketches and plans for various projects; prepares detailed design plans.
- Conducts compliance review against city code for form-based elements of development proposals.
- Meets with and advises elected officials, appointed board and commission members, and citizen and stakeholder groups on complex urban design and planning matters.
- Coordinates production of publications, including newsletters, websites, brochures, and other print and digital media.
- Coordinates and supports partnerships with the design and development community, professional design organizations, and local colleges and universities.
- Supports civic engagement efforts as part of the planning process.
- Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned.
*Applicants must include a portfolio or collection of work samples to be considered.
Hiring range is $51,882-$72,000
Job Candidate Qualifications
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in planning or public administration or field directly related to assignment and five years of professional experience. Master’s degree in a field associated with architecture, landscape architecture, or urban design preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and/or other graphics software. Familiarity with drafting, 3D-modeling, and rendering software including, but not limited to, Rhino3D, AutoCAD, SketchUp, and VRay. Working knowledge of GIS software is preferred.
Valid Class C Driver’s license
Professional licensure or certifications of PLA, AIA, AICP are encouraged, though not required at the time of hiring. Candidates should be able to demonstrate a path toward licensure and/or certification.
- Techniques and methods for organizing, prioritizing, assigning and monitoring work (based on assignment).
- Practices and methods of coaching and leading the work of others (based on assignment).
- Principles and practices of planning administration.
- Principles and practices of program administration and management.
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research.
- Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis.
- Best practices, trends and emerging technologies.
- Principles and techniques of effective oral presentations.
- Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment).
- Customer service principles.
- Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment.
- Modern office technology.
- Training and coaching staff (based on assignment).
- Coordinating deadlines, prioritizing work demands, and assigning/monitoring work performed (based on assignment).
- Providing project/program management, organization and logistics coordination.
- Overseeing the implementation and adherence to quality assurance and standards.
- Researching industry trends, solutions and best practices.
- Gathering data, analyzing findings and applying logic and reason.
- Interpreting, monitoring and reporting financial information and statistics.
- Coordinating deadlines and prioritizing competing demands.
- Authoring and preparing original reports, technical documents and presentations.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards (based on assignment).
- Providing customer service.
- Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications.
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
How to Apply
Access the job posting and apply online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/raleighnc/jobs/2626424/urban-designer-ii
Closing date is November 21, 2019